A 12-week paid summer program where exceptional innovator-entrepreneurs help create the next disruptive life science startups.
We recruit outstanding scientists, engineers, inventors and budding entrepreneurs to work hand-in-hand with our seasoned professionals through our uniquely entrepreneurial scientific exploration process, with the potential to ultimately produce pioneering new ventures. This program is exclusively for Ph.D., M.D., M.S., and science-minded M.B.A. students who are within one year of graduating or have just done so.
If you’re considering an alternative path from academia that allows you to remain engaged in creative science, Flagship’s Fellows Program offers a balance of freedom of thought, imagination, science rooted in reality and rigorous business practice.
The Flagship Fellows Program is unlike a traditional internship or academic fellowship. It provides a rare opportunity to do something different with your graduate training and to apply your scientific expertise, entrepreneurial talents, and self-starter mentality toward creating new ventures. Science is at the core of Flagship’s fellowship program—a new way of thinking about cutting-edge science that goes beyond splashy headlines to actually impact the health of people and our planet. Each day, Fellows work closely with Flagship’s team of entrepreneurial scientists to explore big ideas, look differently at scientific literature, and generate new vantage points for companies with world-changing potential.
Fellows work hand-in-hand with our seasoned professionals through the “Exploration” phase of Flagship’s process—the point at which we explore ideas with world-changing potential and create a foundational understanding of existing science—and opportunity for original experimentation.
When you work with us you will experience our unique four-phased methodology for creating first-in-class, first-in-category life science companies. Key benefits include:
- Tap into our unique position in the innovation ecosystem
- Network with our team of experts
- Explore the cutting edge of science and technology
- Experience the startup world and our unique company creation process
- Learn how to build a thought into a new venture
- Find practical applications for your skills and expertise
- Learn from your peers and some of the brightest minds in the business
- Work in the heart of the vibrant Cambridge, Massachusetts/Kendall Square community
Each Flagship Fellows Program varies in the exact curriculum as we tackle new and exciting areas of development, science, and current events each year. Past examples include:
- Meeting with CEOs from Flagship’s portfolio companies, such as Editas Medicine, Moderna Therapeutics, Syros Pharmaceuticals and others
- Meeting with former fellows who have “graduated” to new careers in developing fields
- Talks from and discussion with experts in functional life science areas such as clinical trials, drug development, and other subjects
- Conversations with dozens of leading scientists and subject matter experts around the world in the Exploration process
- Offsite visits to Flagship pioneering portfolio companies
- Social events within summer cohort and Flagship at large
Whether your goal is to pursue a career at the intersection of science and business, try something different, or gain exposure to Flagship’s world class network, the Fellows Program offers a unique set of desirable skills and experiences for your next step.
Over 160 graduates of our Fellows Program have gone onto exciting careers in life science, including:
- Science-centric roles at leading academic and research institutions, such as Stanford, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, the Broad Institute, Whitehead Institute, MIT, Koch Institute and the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub
- CEOs/Founders of their own companies and startups
- Consultants at leading firms such as Bain Consulting, McKinsey, and Boston Consulting Group
- Scientists and leaders in global biotech and pharmaceutical companies such as AstraZeneca, Alnylam and Biogen
- Investment professionals at venture firms
- Foundational, ground-level positions—such as Senior Scientist, Business Development, and Head of Research— at cutting-edge Flagship startups
- Positions within the Flagship Labs origination and innovation group
Applications are open for summer 2021. You can learn more and apply for a summer 2021 fellowship here.
- This is a twelve-week program between June and August
- Fellows will receive a stipend
- Program takes place at the Flagship Pioneering offices near Kendall Square: 55 Cambridge Parkway, Suite 800 E, Cambridge, MA 02142, conditions permitting
- Learn Flagship’s process for generating and refining actionable venture hypotheses
- Develop your creativity, adaptability, and ability to innovate
- Work directly with Flagship’s highly-experienced team members—a group of widely recognized scientists, entrepreneurs and executives
- Hear from experts and leaders from Flagship’s extended network, such as CEOs of leading companies
- Build relationships and expand your network with a diverse and highly successful group of peers
- Gain exposure to leaders in science and business providing a highly potent platform for personal growth
- Deep scientific or business background aimed at life sciences
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial behaviors
- Academic excellence and self-starter mentality: confident, passionate, persuasive
- Creativity and the ability to solve complex scientific and business problems
- Previous Peace Corps, military, or public service experience considered
- Currently a graduate or post-graduate student (MBA, MS, PhD, MD, etc.) with a scientific background from a top university
- Available for full-time employment by Spring 2022